The COVID-19 pandemic has affected economic and social life in Asia and throughout the world, bringing far-reaching changes in to social values, business models and customer expectation to all corporate and organizational leaders. Responding to the call for “Race to Zero for Sustainable Recovery”, which is this year’s theme for the CarbonCare® Label Scheme, a total of 43 companies and organisations received their label award either for their efforts in decarbonisation or good practice in ESG reporting.
Speaking at the award ceremony on behalf of the label issuer CarbonCare InnoLab, Ir Lee Chi Ming, Chairman, said, “Covid-19 tells us how connected we are and how fragile we are. We hope that the lesson learnt from the pandemic would make us more proactive and united in dealing with the even more challenging issue of global climate crisis.”
Ms Tamsin Heath, the Acting British Consul General in Hong Kong who officiated the award ceremony, commended the label awardees for their forward-looking approach in taking climate actions. “Governments provide the framework, but it’s ultimately the actions of the individual and the private sector that would make the changes that we need. Only by working together that we can really develop zero-emission solutions. ” Ms Heath said.
The British Government is the host of the United Nations’ Climate Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, which was rescheduled to next year as a precaution to COVID-19. To lead by example, the British Government is going to set ambitious carbon reduction targets as well as to drive and accelerate climate actions.
The CarbonCare® Label is a unique scheme to recognize the sustainability efforts of Hong Kong businesses and organisations, Since its launch in late 2011, over 400 labels have been awarded to listed companies, private companies, government departments, public bodies, social enterprises, NGOs, hotels, commercial venues and mass events.
Three categories of labels are available for application this year – CarbonCare® Label /CarbonCare® Champion Label for entity-wide carbon management / carbon neutrality; the CarbonCare® ESG Label for best practice in ESG Reporting; and the CarbonCare® Star Label as a special recognition for committed and sustained achievements in carbon reduction. Each of the labels requires substantive effort to achieve, but are all recognitions of excellence in the journey to sustainability. The CarbonCare® labels are awarded by CarbonCare InnoLab under the supervision of an independent expert panel. Certification is provided by CCA.
- Representatives of 2020 CarbonCare® ESG Label awardee organisations pictured with officiating guest Ms Tamsin Heath, Acting British Consul General in Hong Kong and the management team of CCA and CarbonCare InnoLab.
- Representatives of 2020 CarbonCare® Label and CarbonCare® Star Label awardee organisations pictured with officiating guest Ms Tamsin Heath, Acting British Consul General in Hong Kong and CarbonCare InnoLab management.
- Mr Chong Chan Yau, CEO of CarbonCare InnoLab, gave a warm welcome to all guests and awardee representatives.
- Ms Tamsin Heath, the Acting British Consul General in Hong Kong who officiated the award ceremony, commended the label awardees for their forward-looking approach in taking climate actions.
- In his speech, the Chairman of CarbonCare InnoLab Ir Lee Chi Ming pointed out that the number of applications and awards of the CarbonCare® Labels is similar to last year despite the pandemic.
- Ir Lee Chi Ming, Chairman of CarbonCare InnoLab, presented a carbon offset certificate to Ms Heath as a souvenir.
- Representatives of the ESG Label awardees mingled for a good chat at The Helena May where the ceremony was held.