The Climate talks in COP26 and the final ‘Glasgow Climate Pact’ witnessed a global consensus to move the fight against climate change forward. To fulfil the targets and goals, contribution from the private sector is vital. A record-high total of 54 labels were awarded to 38 companies and organisations this year under the CarbonCare® Label 2021 scheme for responding to its call for “Promoting Carbon Reduction Towards a Net-Zero Economy”. Two new categories, the “CarbonCare® Construction (Process/Material) Label” and the “CarbonCare® Circularity Label”, have been added to this year’s list to cater for the growing demand for a wider recognition across industries and sustainability actions.
Mr Chong Chan Yau, co-founder and CEO of CarbonCare InnoLab, brought the message of the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26) to awardees at the Award Ceremony that facing global climate challenges, corporates have a responsibility and a need to lead the climate response. He emphasized that a low carbon economy also brings opportunities and benefits.
Dr Lam Ching-choi, SBS, JP, Non-Official Member of the Executive Council and Chairman of the Council for Sustainable Development, officiated the award ceremony. “The Hong Kong Government’s 2050 Carbon Neutrality Goal can only be achieved with proactive involvement and support from the business community,” Dr Lam told the awardees, praising them for leading and driving carbon emissions reduction, good ESG practices and circular economy implementation in their own industry.
To highlight the objective of the newly launched CarbonCare® Construction (Process/Material Label), Mr Lee Chi Ming, Chairman of CarbonCare InnoLab, pointed out that the construction industry accounts for 30% of global energy consumption and 40% of carbon emissions. “It is hoped that with the launch of this label, more and more construction companies in Hong Kong will be encouraged to come forward and better manage both the material and operational carbon emissions throughout the construction process,” Mr Lee said.
The CarbonCare® Label scheme recognises the sustainability efforts of Hong Kong businesses and organisations. Since its launch in late 2011, over 450 labels have been awarded to listed companies, private companies, government departments, public bodies, social enterprises, NGOs, hotels, commercial venues and mass events. The CarbonCare® labels are awarded by CarbonCare InnoLab under the supervision of an independent expert panel. Certification is provided by CCA.
Five categories of labels are available for application this year – the CarbonCare® Label / CarbonCare® Champion Label for entity-wide carbon management / carbon neutrality; the CarbonCare® ESG Label for best practice in ESG Reporting; the CarbonCare® Star Label as a special recognition for committed and sustained achievements in carbon reductions; the CarbonCare® Construction (Process/Material) Label for reducing carbon emissions from construction site operations and the construction materials used, as well as the CarbonCare® Circularity Label for promoting circular economy within an organisation’s operation. Each of these labels requires substantive effort to achieve, but are all recognitions of excellence in the journey to sustainability.
Event Highlights 2021
- Representatives of 2021 CarbonCare® Label awardee organisations pictured with officiating guest Dr Lam Ching-choi, SBS, JP, and the management team of CCA and CarbonCare InnoLab.
- Representatives of 2021 CarbonCare® ESG Label and CarbonCare® Construction (Process) Label awardee organisations pictured with CarbonCare InnoLab management.
- Mr Chong Chan Yau, CEO of CarbonCare InnoLab, gave a warm welcome to all guests and awardee representatives.
- Dr Lam Ching-choi, SBS, JP, Non-Official Member of the Executive Council and Chairman of the Council for Sustainable Development, commended the label awardees for their forward-looking approach in taking climate actions.
- Mr Chong Chan Yau, CEO of CarbonCare InnoLab, presented the newly launched CarbonCare® Construction (Process) Label to the representative from China State Construction Engineering (Hong Kong) Limited.
- Dr Lam Ching-choi presented the newly launched CarbonCare® Circularity Label to the representative from Hong Yip Service Company Limited.